Kim Jong-nam was murdered at the Kuala Lumpur International Airport.

Words: Reena Raj & Emmanuel Santa Maria Chin

Two women accused of assassinating Kim Jong-nam, the half brother of North Korean leader Kim Jong-un, pleaded not guilty this morning.

Trial held in packed Shah Alam Court.

High security

> Indonesian Siti Aisyah, 25, and Vietnamese Doan Thi Huong, 29, arrived in convoy of police cars with sirens blaring at 8am.

> Brought into court handcuffed and wearing bulletproof vests.

> 153 police officers deployed.

> Women entered pleas through interpreters.

> Judge Datuk Azmi Ariffin presided over the case.

Siti Aisyah
Doan Thi Huong.

Siti Aisyah and Doan accused of rubbing toxic VX nerve agent on Jong-nam face.

> Jong-Nam died agonising death 20 minutes later as poison shut down central nervous system.

Prosecutor Muhamad Iskandar Ahmad read statement giving details of the murder.

> Said there is sufficient evidence to prove women’s guilt.

> Alleged women carried out exercises with four other people before the murder.

We will provide evidence the victim was at (KLIA) departure lounge when Siti Aisyah and Doan Thi Huong approached him and swiped a poisoned liquid on his face and eyes.

The evidence clearly showed their action to swipe VX caused the victim's death.

Expert evidence will be shown that the VX was the cause of death and chances to save him were extremely slim.

 Muhamad Iskandar

Prosecutors to lay out their case over two months and call 30 to 40 witnesses.

Two called this morning:

Airport staff Juliana Idris and policeman Lance Corporal Mohd Zulkarnain Sanudin.

First to meet Jong-nam after attack.


> Court adjourned for one hour as of 1pm.

From second left: Salim Bashir, Hisyam Teh Toh Teik and Datuk Naran Singh lawyers for Doan arriving for the trial. - Picture by Mukhriz Hazim


> Trial closely watched around the world.

> Pressmen gathered from as early as 1.30am to secure spot for the trial.

> Court only allocated 10 seats for foreign journalists and another 10 for local journalists.

> As registrations began at 7.30am, the press corps swelled to about 150 people.

Journalists gathered early to cover the trial.