No official request for documents, says IGP

PUTRAJAYA — Police have not received an official application for documents from the lawyers of the two female suspects charged with the murder of Kim Jong-nam.

Responding to claims made by the lawyers for Siti Aisyah and Doan Thi Huong that police have not responded to their written requests for documents, Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Khalid Abu Bakar said there must have been a “communication breakdown”.

“We would have responded if an application was filed through the correct channels,” he said.

Khalid said police had always cooperated with lawyers in providing documents when a request was made.

“There is no reason for us to single out this case or refuse cooperation. They must make an official application to the right officer and through the court,” he said.

“They can write to us through the official channel, but we will also need clearance from the Attorney-General on the type of documents that can be furnished to them.”

Khalid said there were some evidence that would be withheld and only submitted when the trial started.

“There is some evidence we cannot give now. They have to wait for court to begin to see it,” he said.

“They are using you (the media) as a tool to get what they want. We cannot be producing all the evidence for them.”

On claims by the lawyers the defence case had been compromised as three North Korean suspects had returned home, Khalid said: “They can say what they want. We are not politicians. There is no politics involved here as it is a murder investigation.”

The three North Koreans, who left on March 30, were the second secretary to the embassy Hyon Kwang-song, Air Koryo employee Kim Uk-il and Ri Ji-u.

On a separate matter, Khalid said police were still waiting for four suspects identified as the masterminds behind Jong-nam’s murder to be arrested.

The four — Ri Jae-nam, 56, O Jong-gil, 54, Ri Ji-hyon, 32, and Hong Song-hac, 32 — are on Interpol’s wanted list.

He hoped the North Korean authorities would arrest the four suspects as requested.

“We are waiting for the North Korean authorities to arrest and hand them over to us but there has been no response from their side,” he said.

“We have their fingerprints and we can trace their movements if they travel elsewhere. For now, they are believed to be in Pyongyang.”

E-Paper Article View