PM goes down memory lane

IT was a moment not to be missed when Datuk Seri Najib Razak visited Sekolah Menengah Kebangsaan Balik Pulau. He took those present down memory lane and relived the moments his father Tun Abul Razak Hussein opened the school 50 years ago. Yesterday, Najib visited the same school to attend its golden jubilee celebration. He hoped that the students, teachers and parents would be motivated to create more success stories in the future. School principal Wan Sajiri Wan Hassan also presented Najib with a framed combo of photographs on the opening of the school by Razak. The school, originally known as Sekolah Menengah Genting, was established on Jan 10, 1965, before being renamed and officially opened on April 17, 1969 by Razak, who was then the deputy prime minister. — Bernama.

injured Myanmar002-1

Three held over assault of Myanmar football fans

PETALING JAYA — Police picked up three men in connection with the assault of two Myanmar fans following Monday’s SEA Games football match between Malaysia and Myanmar.

Selangor police chief Datuk Mazlan Mansor said the suspects, in their 20s, were picked up a day after the incident.

Investigations were underway to establish how many were involved in the incident, which police have classified as rioting.

“We are still investigating the motive,” Mazlan said.

Police have secured a remand order for the three and are on the lookout for other suspects.

In the 11.50pm incident, the victims, aged 29 and 34, were assaulted at the Bazarena parking lot near Shah Alam Stadium after the match ended.

The duo had separated from a Myanmar football supporters group when they were set upon.

Both victims sustained injuries on the body and face after being repeatedly punched and kicked.

One of the victims was subsequently robbed of his mobile phone.

Videos of the incident went viral on social media, which showed a bloodied man in a red shirt on the ground, surrounded by several people, while another was lying on his back.

The two were stretchered to an ambulance and taken to Shah Alam Hospital where one of the injured was admitted.

Curfew at Sabah’s Esszone until Sept 11

KOTA KINABALU — The curfew in the waters off seven districts under the Eastern Sabah Security Zone (ESSZone), which ends today, has been extended to Sept 11, Sabah Police Commissioner Datuk Ramli Din said.

Ramli said the curfew was extended to prevent intrusion of terrorists who threaten the security of international researchers and tourists visiting the resort islands.

It is believed the Abu Sayyaf and other militant groups in southern Philippines were attempting cross-border crimes including abductions.

“Outsiders are not allowed to enter or be in the area within the curfew period,” Bernama quoted Ramli in a statement issued yesterday.

“The curfew also facilitated enforcement and the monitoring of boat movements to ensure safety and to give confidence to chalet operators and fishermen with the presence of security forces in their areas.”

The curfew covered the waters off Tawau, Semporna, Kunak, Lahad Datu, Kinabatangan, Sandakan and Beluran. Residents in the affected districts were required to refrain from setting out to sea between 6pm and 6am.

“I have authorised the district police chiefs to issue permits to applicants who meet the conditions for fishing and other pressing needs in the areas under curfew.”

Maritime agency seizes RM4m stashed in boat

KUALA TERENGGANU — A merchant ship captain and his six crewmen were arrested after almost RM4 million was seized following the detention of the ship in the waters of Kemaman early this week.

The Malaysian Maritime Enforcement Agency described the seizure of cash to be the biggest recorded by the agency so far.

KM Pekan Commanding Officer Maritime Captain Robert Teh Geok Chuan said the ship, which did not display any vessel registration, was detained about 233km from Kuala Kemaman on Monday.

“The seven crewmen did not have valid documents and the large amount of cash was in various currencies. It is believed the cash was proceeds from illegal activities,” Teh told Bernama.

The suspects, aged between 22 and 62, were believed to be Thai nationals and will be investigated under the Anti-Money Laundering and Anti-Terrorism Financing Act 2001 and the Merchant Shipping Ordinance 1952.

Concern over violence among students

KUALA LUMPUR — Bullying and violence among students and teenagers should be kept in check as such culture is now gaining a foothold in society, says Malaysia Crime Prevention Foundation senior vice-chairman Tan Sri Lee Lam Thye. In expressing concern over the death of a seven-year-old boy in Kapit, Sarawak, two days after he was allegedly assaulted by a senior at a primary school hostel, he urged the relevant authorities, schools, parents and other stakeholders to seriously view such recent incidents. “Most minors are involved in crime because of negative peer influence, insufficient parental guidance and elements of gangsterism,” he told Bernama yesterday. He was commenting on the case of seven-year-old Jackson Nuing Awe, who died at the Sibu Hospital on Thursday after he was believed to have been beaten up by his Year Six seniors.

Search and rescue to go on

JOHOR BARU — The Royal Malaysian Navy will continue search and rescue (SAR) operation for the missing crew of a US guided-missile destroyer USS John S. McCain in eastern Johor waters, Defence Minister Datuk Seri Hishammuddin Hussein said. The efforts in assisting the United States were due to the bilateral ties between the two countries, particularly in defence diplomacy. “This matter (SAR operation) has been raised in the Cabinet meeting and I have asked for the Cabinet’s approval to enable the operation to continue until the (missing) victims are found,” he told reporters at the Sembrong Umno division delegates’ conference in Kluang yesterday. The USS John S McCain was involved in a collision with Liberian-registered merchant vessel Alnic MC 4.5 near Ramunia Bay earlier this week. The incident left five crew members injured, while several others remain missing.
— Bernama

‘Verify textbook contents’

KOTA KINABALU ― The Education Ministry has reminded schools not to obtain educational material from private distributors without verifying its contents with the ministry. Deputy Minister Datuk Chong Sin Woon said the ministry always stated the facts that happened in the country. “It is not true the ministry removed Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad from our textbooks because it is a fact that he was our former prime minister,” he said yesterday. He was commenting on a claim that Dr Mahathir’s image was removed from the Form Three textbook on Civic Education and Citizenship, which went viral. Chong also expressed shock over the death of a primary school pupil on Thursday after he was beaten up by a senior at a hostel in Kapit, Sarawak. “This has become a murder case and is under police investigation,” he said.

MACC mulls action on Guan Eng

SEREMBAN — Penang Chief Minister Lim Guan Eng will face civil or criminal action if he refuses to make an open apology within the stipulated period, said Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) Chief Commissioner Datuk Dzuklifli Ahmad. He said this in response to Lim’s statement on Thursday that the arrest of state executive councillor Phee Boon Poh was “illegal’’. “The commission regards Guan Eng’s statement on Phee’s arrest as defamatory,” Dzuklifli told reporters after attending the MACC Visit Programme Series 3 at SM Triang Hilir in Jelebu yesterday. The MACC had urged Lim to make an open, unconditional apology to the MACC within 48 hours from the time the statement was issued or face legal action being taken against him. “The MACC has not received an apology from Lim,” he said. — Bernama

No wasteful mega projects for Penang, says Najib

BALIK PULAU — The federal government will only support mega projects if they can benefit the surrounding communities, said Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak.

Projects such as the proposed massive land reclamation scheme here may not receive federal support, especially if it ends up affecting the livelihood of the people, or proven to be unsustainable, he said.

“We have our own stand in approving projects. But let me be clear here that projects are not rejected solely on political grounds,” he said at a community gathering organised by the Balik Pulau Umno division.

At the heart of the controversial RM30 billion Penang Transport Masterplan, mooted three years ago, is a proposal to reclaim 1,800ha, said to be the main mode of payment by the state to the SRS Consortium, which has won the tender bid.

It involves reclaiming three parcels of land off Permatang Damar Laut, but since its onset, the project has received backlash from fishermen, who are afraid it will ruin the fertile fishing grounds here.

“I do not want the federal government’s stand to be misunderstood as political motive.We reject a proposal by the state government not because the state is from the Opposition; this is not our stand,” Najib said.

He said the federal authorities had cooperated with the state machinery despite the state being under the Opposition.

“But in this case of this project, I was told that 1,500 fishermen will be affected, so it should not be implemented.

“Fishermen, don’t worry, if it does not benefit the people, the federal side will not support the land reclamation project.”

Najib said if there was an alternative plan, the state should consider adopting it, especially if it could save public money.

The transport masterplan consists of three additional highways around the island, a light rail transit system, an undersea tunnel connecting the mainland and the island, as well as water taxis.

There is also a tram service suggested for the heritage enclave.

Najib also officiated at the Balik Pulau Umno division delegates conference.

Balik Pulau Umno division head Datuk Seri Dr Hilmi Yahya said Barisan Nasional was confident of retaining the one parliament and three state seats under his division.

“It is because the people have lost confidence in the leadership of the Opposition. We are also confident this time because the youth seem to be supporting the government now,” he said.


Gomez, Tunku Ismail on collision course

KUALA LUMPUR — Former Johor Darul Ta’zim coach Mario Gomez urged the club to settle his unpaid salary soon or he will take legal action against Johor crown prince, Tunku Ismail Ibrahim (TMJ).

“After all my hard work in guiding JDT to the best level, they don’t even bother to answer my request on my unpaid salary. Maybe TMJ has not been informed about the matter but I hope he will find a solution soon before I start to take any legal action.

“They just left me jobless since January so according to the terms, I need to be paid. At that time, I even paid my own way back home as they wanted to pay for economy class — for a 30-hour trip back home to Buenos Aires is tiring.

“I guided the Southern Tigers to five Cups and is that what I deserve?” said the 60-year-old Argentine yesterday.

Gomez then stressed that his lawyer has already sent a letter to the club but has yet to receive a reply.

“My lawyer sent the club a formal letter regarding the issue and they received it on Aug 8. However, they didn’t reply anything since then,” he added.

Gomez has been job-hunting since his removal as JDT coach.

Gomez was sacked by JDT in January, three days before this year’s M-League season kicked off.

The reigning Super League champion JDT dropped a bombshell by announcing via Facebook that it had reached a mutual agreement to part ways with Gomez.

Later, Tunku Ismail announced Gomez as the new national team’s coach on March 25, the day he took charge of FA of Malaysia as president.

Gomez was supposed to replace Datuk Ong Kim Swee who assumed the position of Frank Bernhardt as coach of Malaysia’s Under-22 side.

Tunku Ismail then cancelled Gomez’s appointment by saying he was stalling on signing a contract as the Argentine haggled for more money. Gomez however declined and is adamant that he never asked for more payment.

Tunku Ismail, in a statement on April 6, then said FAM would find another candidate where Portuguese Nelo was appointed as the national coach.

Under Gomez, JDT became the first Malaysian side to win the AFC Cup in 2015 and in 2016, JDT won the Super League title with an unbeaten record.

The silver-haired Gomez had led JDT to five trophies with the team over two seasons — which included two Super League titles, an FA Cup, Charity Shield and the AFC Cup.

E-Paper Article View