Zahid back at MACC today for more questioning

A-      A+

PUTRAJAYA — Datuk Seri Ahmad Zahid Hamidi will return to the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) headquarters today for further questioning into the alleged misappropriation of funds belonging to a foundation run by his family.

The former deputy prime minister nodded when reporters, who had waited for him outside the headquarters, asked if he will be back for the third consecutive day.

Saya datang lagi esok (I am coming back again tomorrow),” he said as he was ushered into his waiting vehicle at 6.13pm yesterday.

Asked what time he would be coming, he said it will be at his request.

He exited the compound of the MACC headquarters after expressing his gratitude to reporters and photographers for waiting patiently since morning.

Yesterday, Ahmad Zahid’s son-in-law Datuk Saiful Nizam Mohd Yusoff was also called to have his statement recorded.

A MACC source told Bernama that Saiful Nizam, who is Datuk Nurulhidayah Ahmad Zahid’s husband, came around lunchtime to the commission’s headquarters.

Saiful Nizam is the latest person called by graft busters to assist in their probe.

On Wednesday, Nurulhidayah was present at the headquarters and it was believed that she too was interviewed.

The former deputy prime minister and current Umno president arrived at 9.15am yesterday in a white Lexus SUV, wearing a black plaid batik shirt.

Ahmad Zahid smiled briefly upon exiting the car, before heading straight to the commission’s reception counter on the ground floor.

He was accompanied by several MACC officers into the building and waved to the scores of local and foreign reporters gathered.

Yesterday, was the fourth time the MACC had summoned him over the case in which he allegedly used funds belonging to Yayasan Akal Budi to settle credit card payments for himself and his wife between 2014 and 2015.

His daughter, Nurulhidayah, was also seen at the MACC headquarters, and was believed to have been accompanying her father.

On Wednesday, he spent more than eight hours at the MACC and left in the evening after being told he was to be present yesterday.

Earlier this week, Ahmad Zahid posted over Twitter he would give his full cooperation to MACC regarding the probe.

In July, Ahmad Zahid was interviewed for about seven hours by investigators over the case.