‘Datuk’ in carpark assault still under probe

A-      A+

KUALA LUMPUR — The assault of a carpark attendant by an investment firm director with an honorific “Datuk” title at a leading hotel which went viral over social media, is still under police investigation.

Contrary to recent posting over social media on an apparent reconciliation between the aggressor and the victim, a carpark attendant, police said the case was still being investigated for voluntarily causing hurt, under Section 323 of the Penal Code..

The offence carries a maximum RM2,000 fine, and or a prison sentence of up to a year upon conviction.

“No, still investigating the case,” a police source told Malay Mail.

Brickfields police chief told Bernama that investigators have recorded a statement from the man seen in the recording.

“This investigation is a summons case and this means no arrest can be made without a warrant.”

The assault took place on Sept 18 in the carpark of an upscale hotel in the city, but only came to light after a 77-second video clip from a security camera was posted on the internet and went viral.

In the clip, a man whose face was clearly visible was seen roughing up the carpark attendant inside a booth — grabbing, punching and even using a chair to assault him.

Viewers then used the internet to search for the identity of the assailant whom they believed to be a “Datuk” director of a local investment company specialising in telecommunications.

Yesterday, a photograph of the purported “Datuk” and victim started circulating on social media showing the two standing shoulder to shoulder and giving the thumbs up sign, suggesting they had resolved the issue.

Ruslan said the incident had taken place on the morning of Sept 18 supposedly over an unpaid parking fee of RM3.

He said police have positively identified the suspect without disclosing details.

“The parking attendant was attacked and verbally assaulted by the suspect after he refused to raise the parking boom barrier.

“The 31-year-old attendant had not raised the gate because the man had refused to settle the RM3 parking fee,” Ruslan said.

He said the victim, who was not seriously injured except for several bruises, lodged a report over the incident on Sept 19.

Ruslan said police would refer the case with the Deputy Public Prosecutor for the next course of action.